Transportation and dormitory information

How to get to Sapporo city from New Chitose Airport

How to get to each dormitory

Useful information for preparation to come to Japan

Attention when entering the country! !

Carrying in illegal baggage is subject to penalties.
From April 22, 2019, measures against illegal imports of meat products from overseas have been tightened to prevent infectious diseases. Meat products cannot be brought into Japan without an import inspection.

When sick or unwell

Mobile phone/SIM card

What to do right after you arrive at the airport. (persons who have received a residence permit for more than 3 months)

At New Chitose Airport

  • Go through immigration procedures and receive a residence card.
  • Those who have the possibility of working part-time in Japan should apply for “Permission to Engage in Activity Other Than That Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted”.
  • currency exchange 

*If you go through immigration procedures at airports other than New Chitose Airport, Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai, Hiroshima, Fukuoka, etc., a "resident card" will not be issued. In that case, if you follow the procedures at the ward office at a later date, it will be sent to your registered address.

Summary of procedures after arrival

Finding an apartment (PDF)
Procedures at the Ward Office (PDF)
Post office procedures (PDF)
Opening a bank account (PDF)

Procedures at the ward office

Go to the ward office of your place of residence with your passport and residence card. (Weekdays from 8:45 to 17:15)

at the post office

Notification of residence

Please apply at the window or post a change of address notification.

opening a bank account

North Pacific Bank Kita-Nanajo Branch (Weekdays 9:00-15:00)

Alternatively, you can open an account at a nearby Japan Post Bank (9:00 to 16:00 on weekdays). How to open an account

Required documents: passport, residence card (with address printed on the back), student ID card (original of admission letter or letter of acceptance), personal seal (if available)

  • Government-sponsored international students should open a Japan Post Bank account.
  • If your residence card is not issued at the airport, you will need to obtain a copy of your resident card at the ward office and bring it to the bank.
  • You may be asked for your home country tax identification number. Make a note of your national identification number, which may be called your personal identification number, social security number, or 주민등록번호.
  • Depending on the timing of the account opening application, it may take up to 2 weeks before you can actually deposit and withdraw money. In preparation for unexpected expenses, bring a little extra cash or check the procedures for overseas remittances.

Shop information around the dormitory

My number (social security/tax number system)

When you submit your moving-in notification at the ward office, you will be given a 12-digit number, called My Number. About a month after you submit your moving-in notification at the ward office, your personal number notification will be delivered to your dormitory or apartment.
The individual number notification cannot be used as a "document certifying my number" or as an "identification card".

My number is needed in following settings:

  • It is necessary for overseas remittance/receipt.
  • You may be asked for your number when you pay for your part-time job.

For more information

If you want to confirm your My Number more quickly, such as when you want to remit money from your home country immediately

Please obtain a copy of your resident card. When you apply, please tell them, "Please enter your My Number." You can obtain it at the ward office where you completed the procedure or at Odori Certificate Issuance Service Center.

Other insurance/pension

Transportation and Dormitory Guide

How to get to Sapporo city from New Chitose Airport

Transportation guides for each dormitory

Useful Links

Caution when entering Japan

Bringing in items illegally will be subject to penalties.
As of 22nd April 2019, Japan decided to apply the penalty for illegal bringing in of meat products more stringently. Introducing livestock products without passing import inspection is strictly prohibited.

Plant Quarantine Information for Travelers to Japan
Animal quarantine information for travelers to Japan

If You Are Sick

About Mobile Phone & SIM Card

Procedures after Arriving (Persons granted permission to stay for over 3 months)

At the New-Chitose Airport

  • You will be issued a “Residence Card” at the immigration inspection.
  • Apply for “Permission to Engage in Activity Other than that Permitted by the Status of Residence Previously Granted” and receive approval at the immigration inspection, if you wish to have part-time job in Japan.
  • Money Exchange

※ If you enter Japan from the New-Chitose, Narita, Haneda, Chubu, Kansai, Hiroshima or Fukuoka airport, you will receive a residence card at the airport.

If you enter from another airport, the residence card will be mailed to the address after you report to your municipal / ward office.

Guides of After Arrival Procedures

Finding an apartment (PDF)
At the ward office (PDF)
At the post office (PDF)
At the bank (PDF)

At the Municipal / Ward Office

You need to go to your local municipal/ ward office with your passport and residence card. (weekday 8:45 – 17:15)

At the Post Office

Submit the “Change of Address Notice” An Example

At the Bank

※ MEXT (Japanese Government Scholarship) students must open an account at a JP bank.

※ If you don't receive a residence card, you need to get a Certified Copy of Resident Registration (juumin hyo) at the municipal/ ward office and bring it to the bank.

※You may be asked for your Taxpayer Identification Number in your country named Social Security Number, Personal Number, 주민등록번호, Identity Number, Resident Registration Number, etc.

※In some cases, it may take about 2 weeks to open your bank account in Japan. Please consider bringing enough cash and/or use overseas remittance service.

Map of Nearby Shopping Places

“My Number” (Individual Number)

About a month after you submit the moving-in notification at the ward office, you will receive “Individual Number Notice” in the mailbox of the dormitory.
This notice cannot be used as proof of your Individual Number or as identification.

  • My number is necessary when you receive/remit money overseas.
  • When you receive a salary for a part-time job, the company may ask your number.

For more detail of the My Number

Other Insurances and National Pension System

Route guide for each lodging

useful website

Immigration Japan Caution!

Subject to processing of incoming illegal goods.
From April 22, 2019, in order to prevent the invasion of infectious diseases, the act of importing meat products illegally from overseas, progress has been made, and the meat products owned by the importer have not been brought into Japan.

Greetings from the Plant Protection Station Visitors from overseas to Japan
Greetings from Animal Quarantine Service