If you are involved in a crime or accident, call the police number "110". Calls are free.
Calmly tell them when, where, and what happened, along with your name and contact information. If you don't know where you are, let them know the name of a nearby large building or station.

The number to contact for both fire and sudden illness is 119. Calls are free.
If a fire should break out, yell "Kajida(Fire)!" to notify people around  you,  evacuate quickly and ensure your own safety as well.

Call the emergency number "119" to get a fire engine, tell the location of the fire and what is burning as far as you know.
If you are unable to move due to a sudden illness or injury, call 119 and ask an ambulance to take you to the hospital.

However, the hospital's nighttime emergency service is primarily intended to handle serious cases in emergency situations. If you have a fever due to a cold or flu, or if you have a minor injury, do not call an ambulance and go to the hospital yourself.


AEDs (Automated External Defibrillators) are easy-to-use medical devices that give an electric shock (defibrillation) to the heart  to return it to its normal state  in case of sudden cardiac arrest.

AED installation locations (Sapporo Campus)

Disasters (earthquake, typhoon, etc.)

Please see the "Preparing for disasters" page.


Traffic rules



Student Disciplinary Action

If a student commits a crime or misbehavior, he or she will be subject to legal punishment in the same way as a normal member of society.  In addition,  Hokkaido University will take a disciplinary action against the student who has committed such an act from the perspective of educational guidance.