The Japanese Language and Culture Studies Program (JLCSP) is a ‘junior year abroad’ type program for undergraduate students majoring in Japanese language and culture. Each year international students from our partner universities as well as government-sponsored students come to Japan and take this enriching course. The JLCSP is the leading course of its kind in Japan and has a long history catering to different skill levels from intermediate to advanced Japanese. You can also choose courses from our English curriculum or courses from the standard curriculum taken by Japanese students. If you would like to deepen your understanding of your particular field of independent study, or learn business Japanese, this course can help you achieve your goals. Hokkaido University is set on a large campus widely viewed as the most beautiful campus in Japan. In such a wonderful environment, together with other international students as well as Japanese students, let us help pave your future.
Objectives of the Program:
- to improve students’ Japanese language proficiency to enable them to interact with Japanese speakers and conduct research in Japanese;
- to acquire basic knowledge and methodologies for Japanese studies – particularly relating to Japanese general and applied linguistics;
- to gain a deeper understanding both of Japanese language and culture. In the second semester (April – August) of the one year program, students can study a research topic in their field of specialty and complete a final report under the guidance of a supervisor.
Outline of Program:
The program consists of three types of courses: courses in Japanese language; courses in Japanese linguistics, culture and society; and independent study in the students’ field of specialty including a final report.
Period of Program:
One Year: Late September 2016 – Mid-August 2017
Half Year: Late September 2016 – Mid-February 2017, Early April 2017 – August 2017
- Applicants must be a Japanese language and/or culture major enrolled in an undergraduate degree course at a partner university of Hokkaido University. First-year students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have N3 (or higher) on the Japanese Language Proficiency Test or the equivalent or higher proficiency in Japanese at the time of application. In particular, applicants should know 500 or more kanji and have the skill to understand conversation spoken at natural speed and read/write simple sentences. Any students who are found to have inadequate language skills after arrival will not be able to complete the course.
- Applicants must possess a good academic record at university level.
- Applicants must be between 18 and 29 years of age on the date of April 1, 2016.
Conditions for Completion of Course:
A certificate of completion of the program will be given to students who satisfactorily earn 26 credits (15 credits for the half year program) or more of courses throughout the period of the program.
Where to apply:
The application form for the next intake is available now. Please submit the application form and any additional documents to the office responsible for student exchange at your university. Application documents must not be sent directly to Hokkaido University. The deadline of submission at Hokkaido University is as follows:
One Year: February 19, 2016
Half-Year (2016 Fall Semester): February 19, 2016
Half-Year (2017 Spring Semester): October 31, 2016
＊Half-Year (2017 Spring Semester) applicants should submit their applications in October, not February.
Number of students accepted: Brochure Link
One Year: 40
Half Year: 20 for each
Course Coordinator: Yoshiko Kobayashi