The Hokkaido University Short-Term Exchange Program (HUSTEP) is a ‘junior year abroad’ type program designed to provide undergraduate students from affiliated universities with the opportunity to study in Japan at Hokkaido University. Participants in this program take a wide variety of classes offered in English in the fields of Culture and Society, Environment, Science and Technology. Students also have the chance to study the Japanese language. In addition, some participants can pursue independent study research under the guidance of a faculty member. There will also be an opportunity to take part in numerous traditional and contemporary Japanese cultural activities. Students admitted to the program are eligible to apply for a scholarship.
HUSTEP provides a safe and caring environment in which to carry out your academic studies and broaden your horizons. Participating in HUSTEP will help to prepare you for the future with knowledge and experiences that will last a lifetime. In addition, you will have a wonderful opportunity to meet and make friends with many Japanese people as well as international students from all around the world who come to study at Hokkaido University. We would like to invite motivated university students from ALL disciplines to participate in HUSTEP.
To be eligible to apply for HUSTEP, students must:
1. be enrolled in full-time undergraduate degree programs at overseas universities that have concluded a student exchange agreement with Hokkaido University.
2. be enrolled and pay tuition fees at their home universities as full-time students during the entire period of study in Japan.
3. have completed at least two years of undergraduate study at their own university prior to arrival in Japan.
4. have a cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or better on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
5. be proficient in English. Non-native English speakers must have a score of at least TOEFL iBT 79 or IELTS 6.5.
6. be able to arrive by late September or first week of April.
Number of Students Accepted
Approximately 50 students for each course
There is a screening process and NOT all students who apply will be accepted. Japanese language ability is not required to participate in HUSTEP. Those students whose main focus is studying Japanese language and are majoring in Japanese Studies should consider applying to the Japanese Language and Cultural Studies Program (JLCSP) instead of HUSTEP.
There are a limited number of scholarships available so most students will have to cover their own costs. Although it varies by individual, the cost of living in Japan is about 100,000 yen (roughly $850 US) per month. Thus students should have enough money saved up to pay for one year of living costs or make other financial arrangements before coming to Japan. Students should be clear that HUSTEP is strictly a study program.
Even if students receive a scholarship, the first payment will be made one month after the arrival. Students must bring money to pay for both the first month dormitory fee and living costs.
Students interested in HUSTEP should first consult with an academic advisor at their home institution. On approval by the advisor, applicants may obtain the necessary forms from the office of international studies (or its equivalent) at their home institution, complete the forms, and submit them to Hokkaido University through the home institution’s office of international studies (do not send applications directly to Hokkaido University).
Further information, please read the HUSTEP Application Guidelines.
Application Form (2016-2017 One year course /2016 Fall Semester Course) is now available!
INFORMATION FOR STUDENT EXCHANGE COORDINATOR AT HOME UNIVERSITY
Please download the following HUSTEP application form and other required documents.
1) Cover Page HUSTEP2016-2017 Application Form (PDF)
3) Recommendation Letter (PDF)
4) Certificate of Health (PDF)
5) Certificate of Enrollment (PDF)
6) HUSTEP Nominate list 2016-2017 enrollment (Excel)
Please give these forms to students who want to apply for HUSTEP. We have already sent you the password to open these files, but if you have not receive it, please contact us.
After students complete this form and submit the other required documents, please send the complete student application package to the following address:
Division of International Adcademic Programs
Office of International Affairs
Kita 15, Nishi 8, Kita-ku, Sapporo 060-0815 Japan
When you send the package, please also send the HUSTEP applicant’s list as an attachment to the following email address.
To assist international exchange students, the Japan Student Services Organization (JASSO) offers the following scholarship to a limited number of students. The Student Exchange Support Program (Scholarship for Short-Term Study in Japan) includes a monthly stipend as follows:
¥80,000 (approximately U.S. $ 700) per month for eleven months.
In addition to the HUSTEP Eligibility Requirements, students who meet the following requirements are eligible to apply for this scholarship:
1) Applicants must, upon completion of the term of exchange, return to their home institutions to resume their studies or to be awarded their degrees.
2) Applicants must not be recipients of scholarship awards from other organizations, if the combined value of these additional scholarships exceeds ¥80,000 per month.
3) Applicants who may have difficulty covering the costs of their studies in Japan on their own.