The Modern Japanese Studies Program (MJSP), Hokkaido University’s four-year bilingual undergraduate bachelor degree program in Japanese studies, is seeking to recruit a tenured Associate Professor in Modern Japanese History.
Content of Work:
1. Teaching approximately three content courses per semester on the undergraduate Modern Japanese Studies Program (MJSP) focusing on modern Japanese history. Courses to be covered include: Introduction to Japanese Society: History, MJSP History I, MJSP History II.
2. Teaching approximately one graduate level course each year in your field of specialty.
3. Conducting academic research in your area of expertise and contributing to the international research profile of Hokkaido University.
4. Assisting in the management of the Modern Japanese Studies Program and other educational programs in the Institute for International Collaboration.
1. A completed PhD in Japanese studies or a closely related field, publication record consistent with an associate professor position, and outstanding potential to continue publishing research articles in leading international academic journals.
2. Some teaching experience at the undergraduate level is preferred but not mandatory.
3. Native or near-native ability in English. Fluent Japanese to enable full participation in Japanese-language administrative work.
4. Candidates with a proven track record of attracting third party funding, and those with a transnational research focus that approaches Japan globally are highly welcome.
5. We are looking to create a balanced and diverse team of educators with complementary abilities. Candidates will be selected on their ability to contribute to the Modern Japanese Studies Program team, and not simply on experience or publication record.
Application period: 2017/12/26 – 2018/01/22
Documents must arrive by 5pm Japan time on 22nd January 2018.
Contact: Dr. Emma Cook, Modern Japanese Studies Program, Hokkaido University, Kita 15, Nishi 8, Kita-ku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060-0815
Email: cook[AT]imc.hokudai.ac.jp 【Please convert [AT] to @】
For more details and information on how to apply: Jobs at Hokkaido University