The Japanese Language and Culture Studies Program (JLCSP) is a ‘junior year abroad’ type program for undergraduate students majoring in Japanese language and culture. Each year international students from our partner universities as well as government-sponsored students come to Japan and take this enriching course. The JLCSP is the leading course of its kind in Japan and has a long history catering to different skill levels from intermediate to advanced Japanese. You can also choose courses from our English curriculum or courses from the standard curriculum taken by Japanese students. If you would like to deepen your understanding of your particular field of independent study, or learn business Japanese, this course can help you achieve your goals. Hokkaido University is set on a large campus widely viewed as the most beautiful campus in Japan. In such a wonderful environment, together with other international students as well as Japanese students, let us help pave your future.
Objectives of the Program:
- to improve students’ Japanese language proficiency to enable them to interact with Japanese speakers and conduct research in Japanese;
- to acquire basic knowledge and methodologies for Japanese studies – particularly relating to Japanese general and applied linguistics;
- to gain a deeper understanding both of Japanese language and culture. In the second semester (April – September) of the one year program, students can study a research topic in their field of specialty and complete a final report under the guidance of a supervisor.
Outline of Program:
The program consists of three types of courses: courses in Japanese language; courses in Japanese linguistics, culture and society; and independent study in the students’ field of specialty including a final report.
Period of Program:
One Year: September 2015 – August 2016
Half Year: September 2015 – March 2016
- Applicants must be a Japanese language and/or culture major enrolled in an undergraduate degree course at a partner university of Hokkaido University. First-year students are not eligible to apply.
- Applicants should have N3 (or higher) of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test or the equivalent or higher proficiency in the language at the time of application. Any students who are found to have inadequate language skills after arrival will not be able to complete the course.
- Applicants must possess a good academic record at university level.
- Applicants must be between 18 and 29 years of age on the date of April 1, 2015.
Conditions for Completion of Course:
A certificate of completion of the program will be given to students who satisfactorily complete 540 hours (270 hours for half year program) or more of courses throughout the period of the program.
Here are more detailed Course Guidelines for your reference.
Where to apply (September 2015 entry):
The application form for the next intake of September 2015 is available now. Please submit the application form and any additional documents to the office responsible for student exchange at your university. The deadline of submission at Hokkaido University is around mid to late February each year. Application documents must not be sent directly to Hokkaido University. We will update this page as the application window approaches.
Number of students accepted:
One Year: 30 Brochure Link
Half Year: 30
Course Coordinator: Yoshiko Kobayashi